Sponsor a Turtle
Turtle Sponsorship Program
Australian Seabird & Turtle Rescue Inc. (ASTR) makes sponsoring a turtle an amazing, personalised experience that is unique, informative and educational. The best part of all about sponsoring a turtle is knowing that you are helping to make the care, rehabilitation and ultimately the release of vulnerable and endangered sea turtles back to their ocean home possible.
The majority of our patients in our care are Green Sea Turtles (Vulnerable) but we do also get the Hawksbill sea turtles (critically endangered) and sometimes the huge laying Loggerheads (Endangered). Most of our turtles who come into care are juveniles in the weight range of 8-12 kg. However, we have also had large, adult turtles come into our care on occasions. The length of time a turtle remains in care is variable and unique to the individual turtle and their needs.
Sponsoring a turtle assists with cost of food, medications and other consumables that are involved in a turtle’s care whilst in rehabilitation. Funds donated under this program may also be utilised for general upkeep of facilities / the turtle hospital where turtles are cared for and, if there are excess funds from the sponsorship donation, they may be utilised by Australian Seabird & Turtle Rescue Inc (ASTR) to fund the work more broadly that ASTR does to enable us to meet our mission statement. Our Mission Statement is to ‘Reduce the human impact on seabirds, shorebirds, sea turtles and sea snakes through rescue, rehabilitation, education and research’. We really appreciate your support.
The Turtle Sponsorship Program involves a commitment of a sponsorship period (usually of a minimum period of 3 months duration). Many sponsors have committed to a sponsorship period of 3 months at a cost of $200 per month (total contribution of $600 over the three month period of sponsorship). Alternatively, a sponsorship package can be negotiated to meet your individual needs (in terms of both duration of sponsorship and sponsorship donation amount).
The turtle sponsorship program is perfect for individuals, businesses, fundraising projects or groups of family members or friends who come together to sponsor an individual turtle’s care and rehabilitation.
ASTR’s turtle hospital is located in Ballina on the Far North Coast of NSW. We welcome both local and longer-distance sponsors to be a part of the sponsorship program.
Sponsors will receive the following as part of participating in the sponsorship program:
- a Certificate of Sponsorship (via email)
- a brief history of their sponsored turtle’s admission details including date rescued, general location, presenting problems, weight etc
- Photos of their sponsored turtle
- Receive a monthly update / progress report about their sponsored turtle (via email)
- Have the opportunity to visit the turtle hospital to meet their sponsored turtle to hear about their story and progress with rehabilitation (via appointment only arranged by sponsorship coordinator)
- Be invited to the release of their sponsored turtle (if a longer-distance sponsor, a video of the release will be taken and provided to you)
- Have their name and sponsorship recognised on this website (below)
We have a dedicated sponsorship coordinator, Andrew, to help you with your enquiries. Please get in touch today if you are interested in sponsoring a turtle or have any queries.
We value all our sponsors and strive to make sponsorship a personalised and educational experience.
Thank you in advance for your kindness, support and generosity,
The entire team at ASTR
CURRENT AND PAST TURTLE SPONSORS (OUR TURTLE FAMILY)
The entire team at ASTR would like to extend our thanks for the generosity and support provided by the following people, groups and organisations who have supported the care of rescued sea turtles via our Turtle Sponsorship Program:
- Paul Gilbert
- Miss Margaritas
- Dr John Butschies – Dental At Lennox
- Lennox Wave
- All Girls Surfriders
- AGF Roofing
- Potency Pty Ltd. (Repeat Sponsor)
- Riverstone Polished Concrete
- Julie Funston
- Sue the Boy Jewellery – Harley Wearne (Extended Sponsorship)
- Sara Hodges (Cremin) & Family
- Sherrin and Barbara Hibbard
- Fiona Blackmore
- Kim Burgess and Susan Ferguson (Repeat Sponsors)
- Steve and Jo Carrigg
- Beachside Bargains Evans Head
- Laura, Ivy & Edie Taylor
- Friends of Sappho (Group 1 – Mary Sims, Nell Glass, Judy Tucker, Dorothy Clarke, Kierryn Davis, Lodi, Jude Raabe, Terri Dodd, June Nowlan)
- Melissa Appleyard
- Jackson Connellan & Tom Snellgrove
- Wendy Gilliard
- Petek Denizli & Mureed Taki
- Healthy Planet Now
- Flavours of Byron Bay
- Bree & Kaemon Raeck (Repeat & Extended Sponsor)
- Lynne Williams (Repeat sponsor)
- Riverwalk Dental, Ballina (Extended Sponsorship)
- Zep Finance
- Friends of Sappho (Group 2 – Belinda Gilbert, Jude Raabe, Judy Tucker, Julie Taylor, Kierryn Davis, Jennifer McLeod, Leonie Staples-Smith, Mary Sims, Narelle Glass, Ronda Taylor, Susanne St Julian, Victoria Childs, Dorothy Clarke)
- Debra Thompson & Family
- Abemama – Lord Howe Island
- Jenni Cargill & Family
- Oliver O’Connor, Grace Wuher & Cheryl Jones
- Nick Russo – Ray White Byron Bay (Repeat & extended sponsor)
- Elimin8 Plastic (Richard Stockwell)
- NSW Fish Save – Steve Moralee – (Repeat Sponsor)
- Bronwyn & Anthony Sutton
- Sarah Geddes
- Lily & Emma Lepre
- Katie Stoddart – Saltie Soul
- Eddie, Eva & Jack Adams
- Oliver & Ella Brien
- Fraser & Alastair White
- Frankie Willow Fitzgerald (C/O Madeline Fitzgerald)